Weaver Wednesday 3: range changes in S Africa
Southern Masked Weaver Ploceus velatus
Range changes in SA
Range change summary
In South Africa the Southern Masked Weaver has many more grid cells with increases in reporting rate than cells showing decreases, between SABAP1 (1987-1991) and SABAP2 (2007-).
The points below match the points on the map above.
Areas with very large increases include:
1. Western Limpopo Province.
2. Most of Swaziland and southern Mpumalanga.
3. Much of the Western Cape - still increasing after arriving in the province less than a century ago.
Mixed results (increases and decreases):
4. Interior of the Northern Cape - mixed results due to poor coverage - more atlasing needed!
Areas with very large decreases:
5. Southern KwaZulu-Natal - this weaver occurs at a low density here.
Range changes elsewhere
Zimbabwe: increase in Harare due to vegetation and gardens (Brooke 1963a).